Tilson Mphathi Manyoni is the Managing Director of VisionWave (Pty) Ltd, Chairperson of the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Council, and Chairman of the Institute for the future of work (IFOW), which is also affiliated with TUT. He is the Head of Policy for the Black Business Council (BBC) and a member of the Board of Trustees for the Indlulamithi South Africa Scenarios 2030 and the SASOL Foundation. Pre-Establishment Advisory (PAC) Committee Member for CSIR- Centre for the Fourth Industrial Revolution South Africa
Tilson comes from humble beginnings. He was born and bred in Kwa Thema, southwest of Springs, in Ekurhuleni, Gauteng. This is where he developed his enduring passion for entrepreneurship, and from an early age, Tilson has consistently demonstrated the desire to improve the lives of others. Some principles that inspire his love include economic transformation, empowerment of the previously excluded, collaboration to enable innovation, value creation, and deep and connected learning.
Tilson holds two Master of Science Degrees; the first one he received from the University of Southern Queensland (Australia), majoring in Project Management. He obtained the second one from Saïd Business School – University of Oxford (United Kingdom) in Major Programme Management. He holds a Bachelor of Technology in Industrial Engineering and Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology from the University of Johannesburg (South Africa).
Tilson has over 20 years of experience in the technology industry. He started his career as a Process Engineer responsible for Computer-Aided Design /Manufacturing and Factory Automation. Tilson then became a Senior Business Analyst, providing solution design and technical support for technology business solutions, i.e., Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Business Process Reengineering (BRR). He advanced his career and took on an IT Project Manager as part of the company’s global SAP team responsible for technology implementation.
Over the last 15 years, he started three companies in Project Management, information technology, and consulting. His current company focuses on cloud computing solutions and the Internet of Things (IoT).
Previous positions held include.
- Served as a member of the BRICS Council Digital Economy Working Group.
- Served as a JP Morgan Township Digital Spaza Advisory board member.
- Served as a member of the South African-German Chamber of Commerce Industry 4.0 Forum.
- Served as an Advisory Board member for the South African Innovation Summit.
- Served on strategic 4IR platforms on behalf of the BBC at the European Union-South African Dialogue and the BRICS Innovation platform.
- Participated in the DTI Broad-Based Ownership Scheme Technical Task Team.
- A member of Business for South Africa (B4SA).